(StatePoint) When you see celebrities splashed across the cover of your favorite magazines, you may covet their perfect locks. But we don’t all have the time or money to have our hair done professionally every morning. Luckily, quick and affordable home solutions can help you achieve the same look.
“You don’t need to spend a million dollars to have beautiful hair,” says Gregory Alan, a trendsetting celebrity hairstylist. “There are tons of household items you may already own that will really work.”
Alan, who helps the stars look glamorous from the neck up, offers these tips to anyone hoping to do the same:
• Fruit enzymes act to condition hair, leaving it silky and smooth. Try applying a strange but effective combination of mashed ripe bananas and avocado to your scalp and hair shafts. Leave it on for one hour and then rinse thoroughly.
• Quit your ordinary shampoo regimen. These products contain harsh detergents, chemicals and lathering agents that strip color and contribute to dryness and hair damage. Go sulfate-free and lather-free with a product like Salon Grafix Health Hair Nutrition Conditioning Cleanser to rid the hair of dirt and grease, not its natural oils. While most products simply coat hair with glycerin, leaving hair still dirty and greasy, this one is made from 100 percent plant-based ingredients, which gently cleanses and conditions the hair and scalp. More information can be found at www.healthyhairnutrition.com.
• Blow dryers, flat irons, curling irons can cause major damage to your hair if used improperly. Build-up of products and oils leads to fried, scorched ends. So use these heat-styling tools only on clean, washed hair.
• Avoid the beer belly by spraying the suds on your locks instead. The results can be terrific! Use a spray bottle to apply beer throughout your towel-dried hair. After blow-drying, you won’t have any odor, just shiny, gorgeous hair.
• It’s hard to keep your hair looking perfect all day long. For fuss-free maintenance, invest in a $1 travel hairspray and keep it in your bag so you can touch up on the go.
• Even though your cleansing agent will no longer be stripping your hair of its moisture, you’ll still need to give your hair a deep conditioning treatment about once a week. Opt for a product designed to restore and strengthen your hair, that won’t weigh it down, such as Salon Grafix Healthy Hair Nutrition Intensive Hair Repair Masque. Though ideal for all hair types, a repair masque is especially beneficial to chemically-treated and heat-styled hair, giving your hair the nutrition it needs to be restored to a healthy and natural state, while adding shine and keeping the color looking vibrant.
Don’t let your budget be an excuse for dull, dry locks. With a few low-cost changes to your routine, a healthy, naturally beautiful head of hair can be yours.