WHAT: Rancho Santa Fe, Calif. (Sept. 4, 2014) – With summertime nearing its close, west-coast canines wouldn’t dream of missing the singular event of the beach season – Helen Woodward Animal Center’s 9th Annual Surf Dog Surf-A-thon, held at Dog Beach in Del Mar, presented by Blue Buffalo. The Surf Dog Surf-A-Thon takes place Sunday, September 7th, 2014 from 8am to 2pm PST and is certain to make some very big waves! If you can’t be there in person, watch the broadcast beginning at 8:30am PT/11:30am ET on Ustream.tv at http://www.ustream.tv/channel/surf-dog-surf-a-thon.
Helen Woodward Animal Center’s canine surf contest is the largest of its kind in the country and will feature more than 80 dogs surfing in four different weight class competitions. Winners are selected based upon their ability to ride the waves, have fun and stay on their boards. Keeping their eyes on the prize, “Top Surf Dog 2014”- hopefuls will compete for the coveted title, judged by celebrities, surf pros and aficionados.
Other dog-and-family friendly activities scheduled at the September 7th Surf Dog Surf-A-Thon include the Beach Bum Bikini Babe Canine Costume Contest; over 70 interactive vendor booths including some of the top brands of pet products and surf gear; and a Special Kid’s Activity area – with crafts, face painting, games and more! All proceeds from the annual competition and activities go towards the animals and programs at Helen Woodward Animal Center.
Also on the roster, for the very first time, Stand Up Paddle “Pawers” will have the opportunity to show off the hottest new dog sport hitting the water. Helen Woodward Animal Center, is leading the pack with this PUPular new canine-craze by hosting a Paddle Paws Parade beginning at 10:15am. Laura Nativo, Pet Trainer, Pet Lifestyle Host of Hallmark Channel’s Emmy-Nominated Series, Home & Family, and Stand Up Paddleboarding (SUP) Semi Pro will serve as Paddleboard Ambassador, leading the parade along with her Pomeranian SUP-ing pup, Preston.
For more information on the Surf Dog Surf-A-Thon, visit www.animalcenter.org or call 858-756-4117.
WHERE: Dog Beach in Del Mar
WHEN: Sunday, September 7th, 2014 between 8:00am – 2:00pm.
- Life-vested canines competing in real surfing heats – 4 different weight classes!
- A Costumed Stand Up Paddle Board Pup Parade!
- Land-loving pups showing off their “Beach Bum” or “Bikini Babe” costumes.
- Kids Activity Area with face painting, hula hooping and more.
- 70+ surfing dog-loving vendors joining in on the fun.
CELEBRITY PARTICIPANTS AND JUDGES:
- Laura Nativo Pet Lifestyle Host of Hallmark Channel’s Emmy-Nominated Series, Home & Family,
- Premier surf instructor and top male tandem surfer Kahuna Bob,
- Founder and publisher of Surf Life for Women Magazine, Sunshine Makarow,
- Jagger & Kristi, hosts of the morning show on Magic 92.5