Use these tips from FOCUS to help your loved ones feel supported during stressful times.
During times of stress, each family member may have different feelings and perceptions of the same event. Similarly, each family member may need different kinds of support. Recognizing these needs will make it easier for everyone to understand and support each other during challenging times.
Here are some tips you can use to help your family members feel supported when they are faced with challenging situations:
- Listening quietly – give family members your full attention and only offer advice if they request it.
- Physical touch – a hug or a pat on the back might be just what is needed. It will let your family know that you are there and that you care.
- Time alone – be conscious of family members desire to spend some time alone when they are feeling stressed and give them their space.
- Words of affirmation – offer words of encouragement to family members who are feeling overwhelmed or upset. Remind them that they can get through this.
- Help with problem solving – work collaboratively on stressful problems to help your family identify new solutions