When you think of summer, what comes to mind? Is it time spent at the beach or pool, nights of fun with friends, graduation or summer weddings? Gleaming white teeth and a wide smile convey an air of confidence that is important in any situation, from first dates to job interviews. Teeth whitening procedures are extremely effective, but small daily steps can also be helpful. Here are some tips to help maintain a healthy smile all summer long:
• BRUSH TEETH BEFORE GOING FOR A RUN – Running dries out the mouth and any plaque that already exists on the gum line will tend to dry out and calcify, resulting in discoloration and even gum disease. A quick brush before leaving for a run can help solve this problem.
• SNACK ON CRUNCHY FRUITS AND VEGGIES – Mildly abrasive fruits and vegetables such as apples, carrots or celery not only provide the body with essential nutrients, but also act as a natural toothbrush by gently scrubbing off small bits of plaque that have gathered on the teeth and gums.
• SWISH WITH WATER AFTER DRINKING TEA OR COFFEE – Coffee, tea and other dark liquids can stain the teeth and leave them looking dingy. To prevent discoloration, simply swish water around in your mouth immediately after consuming a staining liquid.
• CHEW SUGARLESS GUM CONTAINING XYLITOL – Xylitol, a naturally occurring sugar substitute, has been added to many sugar-free gums as a sweetening agent, but it also has healthful properties. Chewing a gum containing xylitol, such as Trident, has been shown to reduce the levels of harmful oral bacteria, reducing the likelihood of developing cavities.
• WOMEN SHOULD TRY LIPSTICKS CONTAINING A HINT OF BLUE – Blue tones around the mouth can make teeth appear whiter, so when shopping for new makeup, consider red lipstick with blue undertones. These will make your smile appear brighter by offsetting any yellow coloration in the teeth. Avoid coral and orange-based lipsticks that can make the teeth appear more yellow.
According to Dr. Sam Halabo, “nothing looks better on a tan body than a beautiful white smile!” If you would like more information about whitening your smile, give our office a call. We can help you get your DAZZLE on and look your best on the beach this summer!
Sam Halabo, DMD is an award-winning dentist in Chula Vista! He graduated with honors from The Boston University School of Graduate Dentistry. Dr. Halabo completed his dental residency at The Loma Linda Veterans Hospital learning special techniques in working with fearful patients and providing comfortable dental care.
Dr. Halabo is a member of the American Dental association, California Dental Association, San Diego County Dental Association, Clinical Research Associates group, Conference of Innovative Dentistry, Academy of General Dentistry and the American Academy of Cosmetic Dentistry.
239 F Street; Chula Vista, CA 91910
Visit us at: www.smilesbydrsam.com